Tuesday, October 23, 2007

wikis #16

Wikis look like another way to find/display information, but with text only instead of an html website. It seems easy enough for anyone with little tech knowledge to use. It's a 2-way street with the flexibility of editing: great to have the freedom to do it, but not sure if what's added is true/correct. I would hope that there are back-up editors that do fact-checking, and I'm not crazy about the idea of attracting spam.

I find it interesting that libraries use wikis. I was under the impression that librarians didn't approve of wikis, especially Wikipedia, because of the questionable content added by anyone. Since it seems to be ok with libraries, I can see where a wiki site that lists a library's branch information and community events would be useful. I think it would be helpful to have links to instructions on how to use the print card machine, the computer printer, the photocopy machine, and other areas where most of the repetitive questions are asked on a daily basis. Maybe even links to maps/addresses of places nearby to send faxes, make photocopies, find notaries, get tax help, etc.

No comments: